Thursday, February 2, 2012

Street Hockey, You're Never Too Old.

Who's ever played street hockey when growing up?  Who still does?  I know I have and still do.  Most people think that it is childish but is an inexpensive alternative to joining a summer ice hockey league or renting ice time.  To have a successful game of street hockey, the equipment is much cheaper and any person at any skill level.



A few years ago, I participated in an annual street hockey tournament hosted by CBC called "Play On!"  My team consisted of players of a variety of ages and skill levels.  The team was formed by myself and longtime friends and neighbors, Gordy Swindells and Michael Swindells.  Our team consisted of approximately eight players and a goalie.  At that time, our oldest player was 19.  All other players ranged from 13 to 18.  Although we only had one player over the age of 18, that forced us to have to play in the 19 and up league.  Even though we were outsized, we all had at least five years of experience playing with each other, if not more.  We ended up placing 16th out of 60 teams.  That was the only time we had participated in a competitive hockey tournament before.

To this year, we still play street hockey.  We have had to confine ourselves to the local tennis courts to save nearby houses and cars from our now much harder shots and more intense style of play.  Personally I think anyone who enjoys hockey and wants to play but want to avoid going into a competitive league should just call their friends and round them up for a game of street hockey.


Honestly, if you're looking for an inexpensive way to play hockey and you want to get off your couch, play street hockey!  One of the best text messages I can receive on my phone during the summer is "road puck?"  You don't have to be the next hockey star in order to play a game of street hockey, and this is what make it so amazing!

1 comment:

  1. I for sure used to play a large amount of street hockey when i was a kid. I miss it alot, it was always the best to throw your rollerblades on and grab a stick. I remember hating that we always had to yell ``CAR`` and than pick your game up again after. I wish some of my friends still wanted to play street hockey and its a bit sad how you dont see too many kids with a net and sticks out today.

    ReplyDelete