Monday, February 20, 2012

Why So Serious?

Nothing ruins a nice friendly game at the ODR (out door rink) like an over competitive wash up. Every time I go to the ODR, there is usually one or two guys that ruin it for me. I am by no means good at hockey, I go to have fun. I am competitive in nature, but there is certainly a time and a place for that. But it is NOT at the outdoor rink. Clearly if there is a bunch of 14 year olds and a girl hunched over trying to hold her stick properly, you do not need to skate laps around me with a smoke hanging out of your mouth. It's super cool that you coached your kids junior B team 6 years ago, and can do cross overs, I cannot. We have already established that from the fact that I have fallen 3 times in the last 5 minutes. Anyways, my last experience at the ODR was in Airdrie. There is probably 10 of us just skating around passing pucks and what not. Then all of a sudden, everyone starts throwing their sticks in the middle. I casually place mine in the pile of sticks only to find one of the kids is throwing them on opposite sides of the rink to pick teams. I can't even remember which stick is mine! So we start playing and everyone on both teams is super nice to me, setting me up for goals and what not. After about 30 minutes I've made friends with all these kids, cracking jokes too. Then all of a sudden 3 middle aged men bust onto the ice with their Bauer skates and their taped up sticks. They start skating right in the middle of our game, so we ask if they'd like to join. They decline, and continue to skate around all of us. After about 20 minutes they decide they'd like to participate with the rest of the group. Only to find that they are being physical, checking each other and us. I have now stopped getting passed to and lost all interest in the game. They continue to pass between the 3 of them and the pace was much higher. They kept chirping us, slapping shots into the net....we were playing posts. After this I decided to leave with my friends. Totally unnecessary. This not only happens at ODR, but also in Rec league coed soccer. I have had the exact same thing happen to me. Some people just need to tone it down. If you want to be THAT competitive, join a real league. Don't take that stuff on the ODR, or in a div 4 coed league. You ruin it for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah i definitly know what you mean, i was at West Ed mall over reading week and they have the skating rink all set up, and there were families out and dads teaching their kids how to skate and than this guy gets on the ice in his wifebeater tank and starts skating circles around everyone. he almost ran into two kids and just didnt care, like nobody came out to watch you skate just calm down a little bit and enjoy it like everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over reading break I was playing some hockey at one of the outdoor rinks, and there was kids skating around and was a fairly busy day. We had a goalie on our end of the ice playing a little game of half ice 4 on 4 and then the other side was about 5 kids with some parents playing around. The kids were obviously on the same team wearing matching jackets/track suits but they were still having fun. A man came out onto the ice and was warming up just skating around and stopped at center ice. Then lets go a slap shot from center ice and smacked one of the kids right in the head. Kid fell down and was bleeding obviously. The group I was with all skate over to help the kid, with the moms. Three of the men chased after the guy who took the slap shot. I don't understand what goes through peoples minds as they pull off a stunt like that. ODR isn't suppose to be competitive just a good time as none of us have pads on and then tough guys like that ruin it for everyone!

    Hopefully your next experience is a better one!

    ReplyDelete